2010 MNRPCV GEOGRAPHY
Team Members: _____________________________ _____________________________
Guidelines: The quiz is intended to be done in teams. We recommend gathering members from a diverse range of backgrounds; or who are sitting nearby, whichever is easier. We employ the honor system: teams score their own quizzes, and anyone who contributed a question should recuse themselves from helping to answer that question. Other guidelines can be created as needed. Enjoy!
1. & 2. What two countries were recently awarded the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups?
2018: Russia 2022:
3. What country held elections on
4. What Unesco World Heritage Site recently experienced clashes between Chilean police and locals over land disputes?
5. & 6. A new high-speed passenger train broke records at 302 miles per hour in early December What two cities does it connect?
7. Peace Corps Director Aaron Williams, among others, spoke at a program October 14 to commemorate President Kennedy’s speech 50 years ago to announce the Peace Corps. Where did both speeches (1960 and 2010) take place?
8. Who was sworn in as President of the
Match the countries with their component parts:
9. 10 provinces
10. 47 prefectures
11. 48 counties
13. 23 provinces
choices (not all are used)
14. What country’s highest point is in the Mowdok range at 1052 m (3451 ft)?
15. What is the only country with coastlines on both the
17. According to the American Veterinary Medical
Association, approximately how many dogs and cats are there in the
(a) 12 million dogs, 14 million cats
(b) 24 million dogs and 31 million cats
(c) 72 million dogs and 82 million cats
(d) 92 million dogs and 97 million cats
18. What are the two types of “black gold” for which Ajirbijan is famous? (no partial credit!)
Oil and caviar
19. If you stand on a rock just off
21. In what country is this temple located?
Bonus: What is the
name of the temple? (+1)
22. What city is the home of the “Car Kebob”?
23. These famous terra cotta soldiers were buried in honor of: answer B
(a) Emperor Quin, ~ 530 B.C.E.
(b) Emperor Qin, ~210 B.C.E.
(c) Emperor Xian, ~ 70 C.E.
(d) Emperor Xian, ~ 1300 B.C.E.
Source: iStock via howstuffworks
24. This image shows the Treasury of what ancient city? (include city & current country)
Map outline source: EnchantedLearning.com
Label each country:
Geo Quiz Committee: Miriam Krause and Andrea Trowbridge. Special thanks to Gary Bank and Dan Kane for contributing questions, and Christi Williams for being our MC!